I know it’s been quiet on the blog for the past couple of weeks, but so much has been going on! I have a new baby nephew, my daughter had her 5th birthday, and I’m working to launch my photography business.
For today though, I wanted to share with you a quick preview of a DIY party game that I made for my daughter’s birthday party. It was fun to make and a real hit with the kids. My daughter asked for an “All Disney” birthday party. She’s had Disney Princess and Tinkerbell parties the past couple of years, but this year she wanted ALL THINGS DISNEY. Perhaps inspired by our Disney Word vacation this past December, but maybe just because she has a hard time picking her favorites. Since we were inviting girls and boys, we focused on Rapunzel, Tinkerbell, Cars, and Toy Story. I wasn’t sure what to do for Toy Story, but after browsing Pinterest, I came up with the idea to make a felt Mr./Mrs. Potato Head to put on the wall and kids could just take turns arranging it however they wanted, or we could do sort of a “pin the tail on the donkey” game with it.
Since we moved this past year and still have a lot of boxes around the house, I opted to make the Mr. Potato Head from part of a large cardboard moving box, and I used Krylon Easy-Tack Repositionable Adhesive to make the felt stick, and yet be removable. Then I mounted the cardboard on two large pieces of blue posterboard, so that accessories could be attached around the Potato Head figure, and not just on it. So my daughter and I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some felt in all the appropriate colors.
Using some templates from Potato Head quiet books as inspiration, I drew out all the forms for the different parts on paper. I’m no artist, but I think I managed to get the shapes looking right. I designed at least two different options for each piece: eyes, eyebrows, ears, nose, mouth, arms, shoes, and hats. I also made a purse for Mrs. Potato Head. Then I traced them onto the felt (I used a Sharpie on the light colors and white chalk on the dark colors), and cut them out. I used Sharpie to decorate a few of the pieces (I drew lines to separate the lips and the teeth, and drew eye lashes on Mrs. Potato Head’s eyes). I also cut out smaller pieces of felt to finish some of the pieces (like black circles on the white eyes, a flower for Mrs. Potato Head’s hat, and earrings for her ears). I used Tacky Glue to glue those on so they’d stay together permanently.
Here’s the final results! A sample Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato Head. Maybe I’ll add pictures of more of the pieces later, once I gather them all back up.
Here was some of my inspiration:
I’m linking this up to the weekly One Project at a Time link party hosted by A Bowl Full of Lemons!